Monday, November 16, 2009

Snorkeling Lanai



Today we had a snorkeling experience that I would have to describe, partly at least, as harrowing. We rode a pontoon boat out from Lahaina to Lanai on some pretty rough waters which seemed to take about forever. We weren't able to do the first location that was supposed to be just lousy with turtles (my favorite marine animal to see underwater), due to visibility. But I would say that turned out to be a good thing because on our way to the next spot, we saw a pod of 300 dolphins pass us by. Oh my GOD dolphins are cool! They were on the move so didn't really stop to chat, but since there were THREE HUNDRED of them we got quite an eyeful of dolphin this day.




The two sites we saw were pretty lackluster and one of them had such strong currents I was literally swimming in place, which doesn't allow for much exploration. The visibility was great and I did see a couple of species of fish that I've never seen before, but there just wasn't much there. I don't know. Maybe we've been spoiled by Cozumel and maybe we went to the Galapagos Islands when we were just a little too young. I hate to be like that because every underwater life is magic, really! But I guess we just had to work too hard to get there and the payoff didn't seem quite...enough. Well, here's the best thing I saw at our snorkel sites today. Not bad at all! :)



1 comment:

Eileen said...

Those underwater shots are excellent.