Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Trams & Museums

Today we had planned to go with our guide from yesterday, Alfredo, up to the Equator line. When he arrived to pick us up he had some bad news: The residents in the area around the monument were striking due to the poor condition of the roads that they felt it was time the government did something about. The good news was that we found out before having driven past the point of the strike and did not get stuck up there like many others. Instead he gave us a lift to the tram that takes you up to 4100m where you can hike another three hours or just enjoy the views from there, which is pretty much what we did. Dag had to hike up a big hill which I sat out because my lungs weren't so much cooperating.






Afterwards we took a taxi to the Parque de Carolina to visit the botanical gardens. The driver was intent on giving Dag a Spanish lesson the entire drive there, which was probably about 30 minutes due to some pretty impressive traffic. Dag understands so much - it's really impressive! I, on the other hand, have a small arsenal of vocabulary words that can help me get by without ever actually making a sentence. But if someone tries to talk to me, forget it.

The botanical gardens were extensive and very nice




We also visited the Museo Ecuatoriano de Ciencias Naturales where they had some Really Big creepy crawlies, which I have a sort of horrified obsession with. For scale, please note the reflection of my thighs in the glass.


It would be OK with me if I did not see one of these when we are in the Jungle next week.

Last we visited the Vivarium, which was like a little snake, turtle and frog zoo. They also had one iguana. It was really really cool but I didn't feel like I could take any photos. Just imagine some really big scary snakes. Also not the kind I need to meet in person.

We met with our GAP representative and the one other girl who made it to the welcome meeting out of the 13 in our group. We got the rundown of the next 5 days we will be traveling to and spending time in the Galapagos Islands. No internets there so don't be alarmed if you don't see anything from me until next Monday when we'll be spending one night in this hotel again before proceeding to the Papallacta Hot Springs resort. We are being picked up at 7am tomorrow so I believe it will be an early night!

4 comments:

fit celebs said...

Hey, I love your photos..they are really nice...

Money Talks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wayne Images said...

Great pictures!

Eileen said...

AAAAA! INSECT!!!!