Saturday, October 07, 2006

Lost in Transportation

Thanks to Jessica for posting on my behalf! Unfortunately, this situation has quickly moved from mildly amusing inconveneince to full-blown travel nightmare. We were successful in transferring from Sapporo to Tokyo, but no word yet on when we may be able to catch a flight to Bangkok. There are many more flights delayed due to weather than ours, causing quite the situation here at Narita airport. Also, all hotels are full so hundreds of travellers are snoring on the comfy seats throughout the building.

IMG_9594

There are many good things I could say. We are safe. We are warm. We are not hungry. Aliens or terrorists have not taken anyone hostage. There have been no riots. We have all our luggage, toothpaste included, and I've just heard in the ladies restroom that there are showers to be had somewhere on the 2nd floor. It looks like we are most definitely going to miss our overnight train to Chiang Mai (oops, I think I was supposed to be going over the silver lining there but I got distracted) so may very well be winging most of this vacation once we do get to BKK. This is fine. We're resourceful (and total troopers). But the Chiang Mai part was most important to have been guided, in my opinion - hilltribes and such. Ah well. Will we really feel much like a three day trek when we finally get out of the perpetual airport loop we've found ourselves in? All will work out for the best.
Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Patty said...

Wow! Once again into the great (and to me mysterious) land of China. I am hoping you turn these jaunts into a book.....

Baby Boy D said...

I really hate to sound like some sort of Pollyanna type, but at least you are not alone and you can turn anything into an adventure. You will have so many stories to tell once you get through this rough patch. Besides, a shower in an airport surely must be something new for you, so you can now cross that off of your to do list.

DM said...

Ach. I hope you're able to get on track very soon. Good luck!

PeteLee said...

I'm sorry I missed your party--things have been tough at work. That said, I wish you a safe journey and a safe return...