Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Year's Eve Day


Empty building
Originally uploaded by lesliegardner.
That morning for breakfast I made poached eggs on toast to go with granola, cantaloupe and yogurt. J & K were already up and had eaten by then and we made plans to meet them at the Seabus terminal downtown to take a short excursion to Lonsdale Quay over across the Burrard Inlet to the North shore. There's not a TON to do over there within walking distance...a small indoor market with a bunch of little booths. Had I had my wits about me, I would have bought some yummy cheeses for the party that night. But instead I just sort of wandered around witless wondering if I should have some ice cream or if it would just make me too cold. The scientologists were there giving out free stress tests! Outside the market, we all felt that we should "DO" something since we came all the way over (other than just get back on the next ferry downtown). So we walked to the right and discovered a bunch of decrepit buildings and a sign the city had painted promising future waterside access for the first time in a bunch of years. A bit past there was a really nice pier that we walked out on and took photos. It was lined with benches and I imagine when the weather is warmer it's full of people picnicing and feeding birds and great stuff like that. There are two telescopic viewers on the pier that don't take coins! Sure, one of them had a big splorg of chocolate caramel stuck to the lens, but you could look through it for as long as you wanted with no quarters required! Back on the other side, we caught the skytrain, which, deceptively, is underground for the portion of it that is downtown. This was a real point of confusion for Dag and I last year because we could see it on the map but when we looked up...NO SKYTRAIN! We took this underground aboveground train to Commercial Drive, which was kind of a bohemian area of shops and restaurants a ways out East. We settled on a Carribean restaurant which was spectacular. I wish I could remember the name. It's just South of the Broadway Skytrain stop on the East side of Commercial dr. J & Dag had Jerk Chicken, K had curry chicken, and since they were out of all three fish dishes, I had a vegetable burrito-type thing. The wrap part was almost cornmealey and the waitress couldn't tell me what it was made from. It was really really good. After lunch we headed back into town to do shopping for the party before everything closed down for the Holiday.

No comments: